Minutes of Fernwood Community Association Board Meeting December 10, 2014
Present: Tony, Stephanie, Joanne, Richard, Clayton, Bill, Paul, Cam, Carlos, Laurie, Robbie (meeting notes).
Regrets: John, Brad, Carol.
Guests: Deb Beaton-Smith, Clive Beal, and Annamieke Holthuis.
- CALL TO ORDER – Meeting was called to order at 7:30pm by President Tony Sprackett.
- Guest speaker: Deb discussed the Rifflandia Festival’s use of Royal Athletic Park in September 2014, and their plans for next year.
- MOTION – To accept the minutes of July 9, 2014 (Robbie / Joanne). Carried.
- MOTION – To accept the minutes of September 10, 2014 (Robbie / Paul). Carried.
- MOTION – To accept the minutes of November 12, 2014 (Robbie / Joanne). Carried.
- Pandora Arts Collective: Clive discussed the little fernwood gallery as an accessible community asset that brings vitality to the neighbourhood. A new show will be opening on December 14, 2014.
- MOTION – To spend up to $100 on a “little fernwood gallery” sign (Paul / Richard). Carried.
- Discussion: “Paul Phillips Hall” signage.
- Discussion: “North Park Village” improvements to Cook Street.
- Discussion: City Council Liaison position. In future Board meeting agendas, we aim to put Land Use Committee reports ahead of the Council Liaison reports.
- Building Committee: Discussion included painting and carpentry work.
- MOTION – To donate $1,000 to support new housing for the victims of the disastrous fire that occurred on April 12, 2014 in Valparaiso, Chile (Joanne / Cam). Carried.
- Culture Committee: Richard thanked Lindsay Beal of PACS for organizing the 40th Celebration event.
- Communications Committee: Paul reported that the new thefca.ca website is now completed.
- Land Use Committee: Stephanie spoke about current Johnson & Chambers development proposals.
- Safety Committee: Cam reported that Island Health denies the suggestion that a safe injection site is to be located at Pembroke & Cook. Participation in the Good Neighbour Agreement committee is waning.
- MOTION – To appoint Dorothy Field to the FCA Board of Directors (Paul / Richard). Carried.
- Correspondence: Brad Slade resigned.
- Treasurer’s Report: Income statement / budget, and balance sheet.
- Office Report: Written report from Naomi Simpson received.
- ADJOURNMENT – Meeting adjourned at 9:25pm.