Minutes of Fernwood Community Association Board Meeting November 12, 2014
Present: Tony, Stephanie, Joanne, Clayton, Bill, Paul, Cam, Carlos, Laurie, Robbie, (meeting notes).
Regrets: John, Brad, Carol, and Richard.
Guest: Geoff Young, City Council liaison.
- CALL TO ORDER – Meeting was called to order at 7:35pm by President Tony Sprackett.
- City Council report: Geoff commented on Official Community Plan and other procedural issues.
- MOTION – To approve the meeting minutes for the October 8, 2014 Board meeting, with corrected spelling for Elford Street (Cam / Laurie). Carried.
- President’s report: Tony commented on the election meet-the-candidates events (School District 61 and City Council) at the Belfry. He also thanked all of the volunteers at the mayoralty debate at Paul Phillips Hall, including chairperson David Maxwell, timer Joanne, and sound technician Clayton. The event was “live-streamed” over the internet. Discussion was held about better planning for the next civic election in 4 years.
- MOTION – To approve the expense of approximately $400 for the live-streaming (Paul / Cam). Carried.
- Building Committee: a) Discussion was held regarding the new fence section along the north property line. b) A sign will be painted over the doorway from Little Fernwood Gallery to the hall, to read “PAUL PHILLIPS HALL”.
- MOTION – To recognize Gudrun Doherty’s active record of work and solidarity in our community by donating the use of the Hall for the celebration of her life (Robbie / Carlos). Carried.
- Cultural Committee: a) The 40th Anniversary event on November 22 is being organized along with Pandora Arts. (Saturday November 22, 3:00 – 5:00 p.m., at the FCA Hall, 1923 Fernwood Rd. “Come, meet others who live, work or volunteer in Fernwood, and celebrate with us.”) b) The Theatre Inconnu play “Alice”, a musical by Tom Waits, will run from December 4 to December 20.
- Communications Committee: Launch of the new website will occur soon. Paul encourages everyone to subscribe to the e-news through this site.
- Land Use Committee: Stephanie spoke about some current proposals regarding Fernwood village, and explained the role of this committee in facilitating neighbourhood consideration of these sorts of proposals.
- MOTION – To approve in principle the establishment and operation of a weekly Friday Fernwood farmers and general market, to be held on the grounds of Victoria High School, and to be a shared project with the Fernwood NRG and the Vining Street Party on the Plaza (Laurie / Joanne). Carried
- General discussion.
- ADJOURNMENT – Meeting adjourned at 8:55pm.
– as recorded by R. Clarke.