Twenty-eight proposals were submitted by individuals and organizations this fall. The ideas were vetted to ensure they were viable and worked to improve life in Victoria.
Eight shortlisted projects are vying for up to $50,000 in funding. Now it’s the community’s turn to VOTE!
The shortlisted projects are:
- Urban Alive Pop-Up Native Bee Apiary: A pop-up garden and native bee art installation with educational workshops – $11,500
- Closing the Loop at the Compost Education Centre: Solar power and batteries for the aquaponics system at the Compost Education Centre – $2,000
- Arts & Alzheimer’s: An art and music program for seniors with dementia – $1,500
- Next Steps Employment Program: An employment training program, connecting vulnerable adults with local employers – $25,000
- Arts Project for Marginalized People: A music, performance, and visual art program for marginalized people in the Victoria area – $20,000
- One Vital Sign: A new electronic community resource board at Victoria High School to serve the Fernwood community – $22,055
- Victoria Bicycle Music Festival: A pedal-powered Victoria Bike Music Festival and summer concert series – $4,350
- FED Learning Garden: A community learning garden in the courtyard by the Downtown Branch of the Victoria Public Library – $16,000
Note: The FCA has endorsed the One Vital Sign entry. That said, the projects above all sound like wonderful things.
More information and a link for online voting are available from this City of Victoria link.